Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Sewing Room

I thought I should take few minutes to introduce you to my sewing space.  I call it a sewing room, but it really is just a corner of our basement.  Pre-child I had an actual sewing ROOM - but we figured that Ran deserved a room of his own, so my basement sewing space was born. 

As I mentioned in my last post. My main sewing machine is a Bernina Record 930 Electronic. 

While I inherited it from my grandmother, it was actually the machine that I grew up sewing on.  My mother had the exact same machine - she actually bought it  for my grandmother at the same time she bought hers.  It is an amazing machine.  The thing weighs a ton - approximately 50 pounds!

Luckily I have another machine that is more portable - an Alnita Graffiti, that my mom got me when I was in high school
I also have a Singer 4 thread serger.  Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.
I have slowly been taking over more and more of the basement.  That is partly caused by an ever expanding fabric stash.  I got a text yesterday from a friends asking if I wanted to make a trip to the Fabric Warehouse.  As much as I really wanted to, I had to pass.  I have enough fabric in my stash that I really shouldn't need to buy any for YEARS!


I also have two full size filing cabinets that are almost completely full of various sewing, quilting and cross stitch patterns. 
  I also have a nice size bookshelf in another part of the basement full of all my craft books.  I have sewing, quilting, soap making, jewelry and candle making books.  I have developed a bit of an addiction to quilting book and softie making books.  In fact I made a new years resolution this year that I wasn't allowed to buy any new sewing books until I made at least one thing from each of my existing sewing books.  Well, I have already broken that resolution and it is only January 16th.  Earlier this week I picked up a copy of Sandi Henderson's Sewing Bits & Pieces.  I think I will try to do some reviews on some of my books at a later date. 
Sewing Bits and Pieces: 35 Projects Using Fabric Scraps

Some of my other sewing treasures include: a folding cutting table, a new Simplicity bias tape maker, an antique dress form and two Ott Lights.

Post a Comment