Saturday, April 23, 2011

Week 14 - Sewing for Charity

Challenge: Sew Something for Charity
Project: Stuffed Animals for Children's Hospital

This week I took on the challenge to make something for Royal Oak Beaumont's Children's Hospital.
It has always been my personal mission to make and donate as much as I can to Children's Hospitals, including the Children's Hospital as Royal Oak Beaumont.  As a small child I spent a week over the Christmas holidays at a children's hospital in Miami.  I still have very vivid memories of that stay. 

I also still have the gift that a very kind man gave me during that stay over 30 years ago.
While I was attempting to organize my ever growing fabric stash I came across these fabric panels - three bunnies and one lamb. 
I decided that these would be perfect for a Spring donation, so I set to sewing.  Let me tell you that they ended up being a lot more work then I had anticipated.  It took me a solid two days of sewing.  I made them while I was home with Ran over the Spring break, so I had plenty of time to sew while he got his daily Spongebob fix. 


I also took a dozen tag blankets and a few dozen fleece scarves.
Ran also helped contribute by making about a dozen necklaces using pony beads and elastic thread.  I wish I had taken some pictures. 

We took everything to the hospital together as a family and got to meet the children's activities director.  Ran got to see the different play rooms that the kids get to use and their giant fish tank.  Ran told me that next time I need to make some stuffed dragons and monster for the boys. 

While I truly hope that Ran never needs an extended stay at the hospital, it is nice to know that there is such a wonderful children's hospital within 3 miles of our house.


Post a Comment