Saturday, June 4, 2011

Week 20 - Monkeys for my Monkey

DAY 1
Ran: Mommy, can you make me a monkey?
Mom: I sure can!
DAY 2
Ran:  Mommy, can you make me another monkey?
Mom: I can.
DAY 3
Ran: Mommy, can you make me clothes for my monkeys - a tutu for the girl please?
Mom: Yeah.

Once again, thanks to the fabulous patterns from Dolls and Daydreams I was able to make my sons requests come true.

I originally bought her Monkey Softie Pattern to make for my cousin Lily for her first birthday (don't worry Heather - she will still get one!).  When Ran asked for a stuffed monkey I figured I would give the pattern a try.  It was just as wonderful to make as the Russian Nesting Dolls.  Just like with the other dolls, the face is hand sewn onto felt and then appliqued onto the head.
I made his first monkey using some cotton and felt from my stash.  Once she was all done I discovered the mistake that I made.  The cotton I chose for the body is not a tight enough weave, so the stuffing pokes through here and there (like when the feathers poke out of a down jacket!).  Thankfully Ran either doesn't notice or doesn't mind

The second monkey I made (the boy) I used flannel.  It worked perfect and is nice a cuddle to.

 These guys have gotten tons and tons of loving from Ran.  For the first week he didn't go anywhere without them, even took the girl to the park the first day.  As you may be able to tell from the photo above the felt has gotten a bit funky.  I used the cheap poly felt that I had in my collection.  I think for the next round of critters I will get some better quality felt that won't get all pilly.  Ran said he doesn't mind, so I will try not to fret over it.  I guess it just gives them a well loved look!

Next he asked for some clothes for his monkeys (Chunk-a-monk & Hunk-a-monk).  In particular he asked for a tutu for the girl monkey (Chunk).  Hubby found the tutu request a little funny, but I love that he wants to dress his girl doll in girls clothes!
Skirt, Top and Scarf Dress Up Doll Toy Clothes PDF Sewing PatternWaistcoat and Shorts, Dress Up Boy and Girl Doll and Stuffed Toy Clothes PDF Sewing Pattern
Thankfully there are already clothing patterns at Dolls and Daydreams that fit all her stuffed creations perfectly.  
For the tutu I attached two layers of tulle to the bottom edge of the top, instead of making a separate skirt.  Ran loves that the boys top has real pockets!  The dress and the top both have a Velcro closure. 

So, there here is the result of my monkey making week! 
Ran is now asking that I make him a baby monkey for these two - I think I might try to scale down the pattern and see how it goes.

Post a Comment