Saturday, June 4, 2011

Week 21 - A New Purse

I am always on the look out for the perfect purse.  I have yet to find it.  They are either to big, to small, not enough pockets, the wrong fabric or just plain UGLY.

This week I decided to try to make myself a new purse.  I had picked up the Fiona Handbag pattern from Jenna Lou sewing patterns a while back and decided to give it a try
One of my purse requirements is that it zip closed at the top.  I am always trowing my purses down in the car or at home and I don't need all my stuff falling out all over the place.  This bag looked like it could be the answer. 

The pattern was simple - only 3 pieces - and the directions pretty easy to follow. 
It went together pretty easily, though I will admit I had a some trouble getting the point in the front to meet correctly.  In the end I was able to make it work.  Bag is lined and the zipper was easy to install with the directions provided. 
I added two pockets to the inside.  One side has a single pocket and on the other I sewed smaller slots so my pens don't get lost in the bottom of my bag.
I am happy with how the bag turned out.  However this isn't my perfect bag
I didn't use a heavy enough interfacing on the top part of the bag, so when I carry it the whole things slouches funny.
It doesn't have a flat bottom, so when I set it down it falls over.  It also isn't big enough to hold all the junk that I carry with me. 

I am also working on making myself a new backpack using the Cruzer & Little Cru pattern by Mackerilla Design.
I am using some fun printed canvas that my mom had in her stash from the 70's.  I hope to have it done by next weekend so I can take it with me on my trip to Santa Fe.

Post a Comment