Friday, August 31, 2012

I'm loosing my mind!

This summer we have been going through the ADHD diagnosis process with Ran.  After receiving his results, his doctor asked me if I would like to come in for an analysis of myself.  After hours of testing, I officially received an adult ADHD diagnosis.  This summer the symptoms have become glaringly obvious.

Memory, what is that?

A few weeks ago we went camping in northern Michigan.  It was a wonderful and relaxing trip.  However, the first night away I discovered that I had completely forgotten to pack myself any pants!  I am the one that normally WAY over packs for trips.

This week I went for my allergy shots, which I thought were only a week overdue.  I normally go every three weeks.  I discovered that I had completely forgotten that I had received new bottles of serum at the last appointment. That means I was supposed to come every week for three consecutive weeks to build up the maintenance dosage again.  Now I have to try and make it there at least 3 more times in the next week to build my dosage back up before allergy season hits.

 I have also messed up three appointments in three days this week.

Monday, I thought our dentist appointment was at 3:20 but it was really at 2:30.  I was still sitting at my desk – 20 minutes away from the dentist – ten minutes before the appointment time, and I still had to fetch Ran from daycare!  

Tuesday, I would have sworn that mine and Ran’s dual doctor’s appointments were on Wednesday.   So, there I was sitting at home in my pajamas 15 minutes before the appointment was actually supposed to start.   Once again, with Ran still at daycare.

Wednesday, I thought a school function was supposed to run from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.  We did a lot of unnecessary rushing around all afternoon to only discover that the ice cream social was actually from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. 

 I haven’t even been able to remember to finish my sewing projects!  

Last winter I was commissioned by a friend to make an Elvis quilt for her mother.  The quilt top and backing are all pieced and ready to be sandwiched and quilted.  They have been that way for months.  I just can’t seem to remember to take everything to church so I can use the tables there to baste it together. 

Last month my mother-in-law asked me to make a special skirt for one of her wheelchair bound patients.  It was supposed to be a birthday present.  On Sunday she called to ask me if I had finished it yet.  Nope, I had completely forgotten.

My nieces’ second birthday was in May and my cousins’ second birthday was in July.  I have yet to finish either of their birthday presents.  They have been sitting partially finished in my sewing room for months.

What the heck happened?

I started this blog in 2010 and did okay at keeping up on my posting for a while.  Then in March that all petered out.  It’s not like I didn’t have any post ideas – there are TONS of those rattling around in my head.  So, what happened in March that changed everything for me?  Last you heard I was headed to the Florida Keys for my brother’s wedding.


It turns out that while we were enjoying the resort, I sustained a fairly severe injury to my foot and ankle.  I jumped into one of the pools and hit the bottom – hard – while my knees were locked.  I sprained my ankle, tore my peroneal brevis tendon and developed swelling in the bone marrow in my heel bone (something called bone marrow edema).  


After hobbling around on it for a few months, I was put in a non-weight bearing cast for 6 weeks and then onto physical therapy for 4 weeks.  After all that I learned a few weeks ago that the cast didn’t work, I will need to have surgery – scheduled for early October.  I will then be BACK into a cast and have more physical therapy.  This whole ordeal was just the right amount of stress to push my symptoms over the edge.


I hate feeling this scattered.  I hate not remembering things.  I try so hard to stay focused and on top of things for Ran’s sake, but lately I have been failing miserably.  My doctor has recommended keeping a journal.  I have never been any good at maintaining journals or diaries in the past.  I would go for a few weeks and then peter off.  I did pretty well at posting on here for longer than I ever did in any journal, so maybe this is a good forum for me.  So just have to bear with me as I get back into the swing of things and regain my senses!
Post a Comment